Classified Substitute Opportunities (Non Credentialed) in the Walnut Creek School District
Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute in the Walnut Creek School District. As a substitute, your schedule is up to you. You can work any day of the week at our elementary (TK-5) or middle schools (6-8).
As a classified substitute, you can apply for the following position on EdJoin - click link to be directed to our current listing.
- Para Professional - Under the supervision of the General Education or Special Day Class Teacher, provide instructional support and services to special education students. Follow lesson plans, prepare and assist students in accessing instructional materials and equipment. Assist with general supervision and needs of students in special education.
- Custodian Support - Under the supervision of the Head Custodian perform routine cleaning in schools, offices and other buildings in the district. There is a prepared work schedule indicating tasks to be completed. Duties include cleaning classrooms, offices, restrooms, nurses office, libraries, auditorium, cafeteria and hallways. There are two 8 hour shifts - morning and evening.
- Food Service Support - Under supervision, prepare and distribute food items for consumption by students and school personnel and maintain facilities in a sanitary condition.
- Maintenance/Facilities Support - Delivers mail, school supplies and other materials and/or equipment; assists in the receiving, storing, and issuing of supplies and equipment; assists in some or all general maintenance and repair work on school district buildings and equipment, and to do related work as required.
Requirements to become a classified substitute employee:
- Complete the application on EdJoin including all the required documentation.
- Fingerprinting - the cost is currently $57 payable to the Walnut Creek School District by check or cash. Please bring your social security card and drivers license for us to make copies.
- Provide a PPD Tuberculosis Test, Chest X-Ray results or Risk Assessment Questionnaire. If you are not currently working for another school district, the TB Assessment must be within the last 6 months. Otherwise, it must be within 4 years.
Current Classified Substite Pay Rates:
- Para Professional - rates depend on assignment but range from $17.58 - $18.91 per hour. Para positions range from 3 to 6 hours per day depending on the assignment.
- Custodian Support - $17.15 per hour - up to an 8 hour shift
- Food Service Support - $14.83 per hour. Shifts vary between 2 - 4 hours depending on site
- Warehouse/Facilities Support - $20.84 per hour - up to an 8 hour shift
Questions? Contact our Substitute Coordinator for more information.