Extended Learning Opportunity Program (ELO-P)
What is ELO-P?
The State of California Department of Education (CDE) has developed a plan for better serving the needs of our students and families with the introduction of the Extended Learning Opportunity Program. All school districts in the state are required to offer this program by the 2023-2024 school year.
CDE defines ELO-P as a before-school, after-school or non-school-day learning program which focuses on developing the academic, social, emotional, and physical needs and interests of pupils through hand-on, engaging learning experiences.
What are the ELO-P Program Requirements?
The California Department of Education (CDE) has identified specific requirements for districts implementing Extended Learning Programs. These requirements and district priorities are:
- When combined with the instructional day, the program must provide a 9 hour day for students.
- The program must offer enrichment opportunities that engage students and that are based on student interests.
- The program must be offered to all students in Transitional Kindergarten through grade 6 who are multi-lingual learners, foster youth, or those who qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- The program will be open to all students.
- The program must be offered at each school site.
- The program will foster collaborative partnerships within the community, including onsite childcare centers, the Walnut Creek Recreation Department and school site PTA/PTOs.
- The program must be offered on 30 non-school days.
How is ELO-P funded?
Funding is provided by the California Department of Education based on the number of students enrolled in the district who are multi-lingual learners, foster youth or those who qualify for free or reduced lunch. For the Walnut Creek School District, this amounts to approximately $1 million a year.
When will ELO-P begin?
The estimated timeline is as follows:
August 2022-December 2022: Gather Stakeholder Input
January 2023-March 2023: Program Planning and Development
March 2023: Report out program plan
August 2023: Full Program Launch
How will community input be gathered?
Community input was gathered during the Stakeholder Input window of August to December 2022. For program planning, an advisory team has been established with stakeholder representatives across all school sites.
For additional questions, please email:
Director of Wellness, Extended Learning and Community Engagement