About Our District
Walnut Creek Elementary School District is a TK-8 elementary district located in the central Bay Area. The community of Walnut Creek is a unique combination of urban, suburban and open space areas. The district is responsible for meeting the educational needs of approximately 3,600 students at six elementary schools and one intermediate school. The sixth elementary school, a K-8 school, opened in 2015. In grades TK-5 students learn primarily in self-contained classrooms, while in grades 6-8 students are enrolled in both core and elective courses.
The Walnut Creek School District is committed to creating educational experiences that engage, inspire and empower all learners. In partnership with our community, WCSD is focused on creating excellent educational experiences which value students’ diverse academic, social and emotional needs while providing an environment that fosters collaboration, courage, curiosity, creativity, innovation, perseverance, and a passion for learning. WCSD recognizes that creating a learning environment for the 21st century includes the following aspects:
- Facilities that offer accessibility, flexibility, and versatility
- Educational Technology practices that are infused with academic, social, and emotional goals
- Relevant curriculum that empowers students with choice and voice
- Pedagogical practices that nurture and support a diverse population of students
- Lunchtime experiences that nurture nutritional needs and social connections
Our mission to positively engage with the world through discovery, innovation, creativity, leadership and character will continue to lead us in becoming a model of educational excellence.
For additional information on projects taking place to address the above areas of focus, please peruse the “Departments” tab.