Substitute Teaching Opportunities in the Walnut Creek School District
Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute teacher in the Walnut Creek School District. As a substitute, your schedule is up to you. You can work any day of the week in either elementary (TK-5) or middle school (6-8).
Requirements to become a substitute teacher:
- Multiple Subject Credential, Single Subject Credential or 30 Day Substitute Permit. Substitutes with credentials are able to substitute in long term assignments (over 20 days in Special Services or over 30 days in General Education) 30 Day Substitute Permit holders are limited on the number of days they can consecutively work in one assignment.
- Complete the application on EdJoin including all the required documentation.
- Fingerprinting - the cost is currently $57 payable to the Walnut Creek School District by check or cash. Please bring your social security card and drivers license for us to make copies.
- Provide a PPD Tuberculosis Test, Chest X-Ray results or Risk Assessment Questionnaire. If you are not currently working for another school district, the TB Assessment must be within the last 6 months. Otherwise, it must be within 4 years.
Do you need a 30 Day Substitute Teaching Credential? We can help you apply for one! Here are the requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher - We will need copies of your original transcripts for the application.
- Pass the CBEST Exam or meet the Basic Skills Requirements. Click here to review the requirements.
- $100 permit fee made out to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
Do you have a 30 Day Substitute Teaching Credential but you are interested in a long term assignment? Let us know and we will provide you with the options!
Current Credentialed Substite Pay Rates:
- $130.00 Daily Rate (1-20 Days)
- $65.00 Half Day Rate
- $140.00 Daily Rate Long Term (over 20 days in one assignment/classroom)
- $145.00 Daily Rate for WCSD Retired Teachers Only
Questions? Contact our Substitute Coordinator, Catherine Luu for more information.